One strategy Naela and I tried to use to make wheels that roll were to put a straightened paperclip through a straw, then put a lifesaver mint on each end of the paperclip. We then bent each end of the paperclip upwards so that the lifesaver would not fall off the paperclip. We then use a piece of blue painter’s tape to tape the axle and wheel We came up with this idea after reading AHC Arts and Craft’s article about making wheels and axles. This idea had a few issues though. One issue was that the wheels wouldn’t actually turn properly. This issue was due to the fact that there was space between the piece of cardboard and the lifesaver mint. This issue could have been prevented by crumpling up a piece of blue painter’s tape, and pushing it onto the paperclip directly next to the lifesaver min, so that it could prevent the lifesaver from falling onto its side. A second issue with this strategy was that occasionally, the lifesaver would still fall off the paperclip despite the fact that we bent the end so it would prevent it from falling off. (LOL fail!) This issue could have been prevented by taking a piece of blue painter’s tape, and taping the bent edge of the paperclip to the lifesaver mint itself; make sure that the piece of painter’s tape cover the entire hole in the lifesaver mint. This prevented the lifesaver mint from falling off the paperclip since it taped the paperclip to the wheel itself. The third and final issue we encountered with this strategy, was that the wheels, the lifesaver mints, were really fragile. This issue could be prevented by making sure your wheel doesn’t crash or hit anything hard. Naela and I fixed the wheel by taking two pieces of blue painter’s tape, and taped the wheel back together. (Improvise!) A second strategy Naela and I tried, was to put a straightened paperclip through a straw, then put a gum ball on each end of the paperclip. This strategy worked better than the one with the lifesaver mint, since the gum ball actually stayed in place, unlike the lifesaver mint, which moved around a lot. We got the idea after making the same axle with lifesaver mints, which didn’t work that well, and wondered what would happen if we replaced the lifesaver mints with gum balls. However, this axle had its own problem. It was hard to put the paperclip right in the center of the gum ball, so the axle would always go off to one side, instead of going straight. This issue could be prevented by putting the paperclip exactly in the center of the gum balls, which is extremely difficult.

For my car prototype, I think I’m going to use:

-two straws

– 2 wooden dowels

-2 wooden wheels

-2×4

-popsicle sticks

-hot glue gun

-hot glue

-screws

-screwdriver

-neodymium magnets

-small cloth pouch (big enough to hold egg in it)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s